Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's ON!


That's right intrepid readers, I have decided to enter the SDCC, the Simpson Desert Cycle Classic. A 5 day cycle race across the Simpson Desert. It's been called "Satan's Velodrome" and for many competitors it has certainly been hell. And yet they return, again and again, from throughout Australia and around the world, for those five days of the year when this unique location plays host to an extraordinary cycling event ......

I have completed a number of 24hour races and 100km races, although this will be my first stage race, and it seems I may have chosen a slightly difficult first race. I never have been one for taking the easy route. My good friend Wayne (Elvis) Chapman competed last year and after some long discussions in the quiet of the evening at the 24hr Solo MTB race at easter this year I have decided to make the trip out to the Red Centre to compete in this years event.


The race is a fundraising event for the Royal Flying Doctors Service and I have decided that this will be my charitable work for the year. I am hoping to raise between $10 and $20 per km in sponsorship for the 600km race. Sponsors will be asked to sponsor me for the KM of the race that I complete. It is on all accounts a gruelling undertaking and will help focus my resolve in the desert, knowing that every step forward is going to be providing the RFDS with the money they need to continue their vital work. All the race costs (entry, cars, food, support, etc) will be entirely covered by me so that all of the funds raised will be donated directly to the RFDS. So head for your cheque books people, I'm coming for donations soon..............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who else but Elvis would convince you to do something as stupid as ride across the Simpson.

You know how far he commutes every day for work? And you're letting HIM convince you into a simpson challenge! mike mike mike!
-Tom.

Elvis said...

The Simpson is easy.

re-adjusting to the world of sit down flushing toilets once you get to Birdsville...

now THAT is hard.