Thursday, August 20, 2009

All amped up!

It's late August and race time draws near, every day is a training day for the next month. Finally I think I have all the key details for the trip sorted, gear arranged and accomodation booked. It is panning out to be a pretty exciting trip.

After leaving Sydney it will take about three days to get to the start of the race, hopefully there will be time to get out on the bikes and go for a spin along the way or I think my legs will get pretty stiff after three and a half days in the car! I am looking forward to visiting Broken Hill again, and Coober Pedy. I still haven't managed to get that far west, so it is an interesting little town that I am looking forward to seeeing.

Some feedback from the race director Mark Polley has been really helpful in confirming what I already knew, and what I suspected to be true in regards to my daily planning. The race is the least of my problems, getting across the desert 100% is the only real goal for me to focus on. This will make sure I can maximise the money I raise for the RFDS.

In terms of fundraising, I really need to pull my finger out and hit that up again, I have sort of dropped the ball in terms of getting people to stick their hand in their pocket for charity. Hopefully I can get 10 dollars a km in sponsorship before I go.

After the race, Dreggsy and I are planinng on heading to Canberra for the Scott 24hr, and with a few days up our sleeve there is a bit of Australia to see. We drive straight past Lake Eyre, and right through the heart of the Flinders Ranges...look forward to photos of me banging around here on my bike!

Canberra will be a great way to finish the trip with a race on one of my favorite tracks, I can't wait - Bring on October!

No comments: